I recently got a new Mac (because of M1). Inspired by this installation plan, I decided to make a list of the apps I should install. Hopefully this will work as a good checklist the next time I need to set up a new Mac.
- Download and install Homebrew (for package management)
- Download and install Firefox (for web browsing)
- Download and install R and RStudio (for statistical programming)
- Change theme to “Tomorrow Night 80s” from Modern
- Add the addin quickview
- Install Oh My Zsh and change theme to Gruvbox Dark
- Customise vim (e.g., using these recommendations)
This all works well and I am really happy with my Mac, especially the M1 chip. However, before I buy my next Mac, most likely in a few years time, I might try to see whether it is time to switch to Linux.